Upon arrival, the staff determined that he had 2nd degree burns on 13% of his total body surface area. It's a good amount for a little guy, and he was in a lot of pain. They continued the morphine that the ER had begun to administer, which calmed him down quite a bit.
He was delirious, and slept fitfully. David and I, though technically not BOTH allowed to be in his room overnight, were there the entire night to make sure he was ok. This was probably one of the worst nights we'd ever had.
The above pictures were taken on Thursday night when it happened. You can see much of his arm, and part of his chest were burned, but I couldn't get a shot of his under arm/side of torso area. That evening they washed the wounds, treated and bandaged him. They don't allow parents into the tub room, and for good reason. I could hear him screaming throughout the whole burn unit.Today, Ethan is doing a LOT better. They stopped the morphine on the second day, and he is eating and drinking well, so they've pulled out the IV as well. We have an occupational therapist working with us to make sure Ethan uses his bad arm. In doing so, it'll prevent that skin from stiffening up from not being used. She brought some toys and balls for him, which was fun for a while, but admittedly Ethan does get bored easily!
We are thankful that God has spared Ethan from any more serious injury. We praise Him for his mercy and provision. We have friends with whom we can stay in Springfield, which means David and I can get good sleep while the other is with Ethan. We have friends who are taking care of our home and kitty while we are gone. But most importantly, we have an extended family of brothers and sisters in Christ who are praying for us. And their prayers are being answered everyday. God is good, and He is able!
8 comments:
We'll be praying for Ethan, David and you. Let us know how he's doing.
Things like this happen so fast!! We are so sorry to hear about Ethan's accident and are praying for you guys.
You all are in our prayers. Clayton burned his arm and chest with my curling iron when he was 15 months old which turned out to be 2nd degree so I know a little about how you feel. These little guys are so quick, it's just not possible to avoid every accident. Please let me know if you need anything, I will be happy to help in any way I can. We will keep praying! Blessing to you all!
T
All of us at Hearts are praying for you. For quick and complete healing for Ethan, and for stamina and strength for you and David. Let us know if you need anything!
Angie
Vicky - Ethan and all of you are in my prayers. I pray Ethan will continue to heal and get better each day.
I'm so sorry to hear about Ethan's accident! Troy and I will both be praying for Ethan's complete and quick healing as well as strength for you and David. Please keep us posted, and we'll also continue to check your blogspot for updates.
Becky
We love you all, and you're in our prayers too. Get well soon little guy!
We were so sorry to hear about Ethan's accident. We will pray for and quick and complete recovery and for peace of mind and rest for you guys. Please let us know if there's anything we can do.
Marla, Rob, Brock and Kyle
Post a Comment